Melanie Borrelli
CTV Windsor Web Writer / Reporter

@mborrellictv
Contact

WINDSOR, ONT – –
Windsor-Essex is expected to be part of a statewide lockdown next month

Ontario Prime Minister Doug Ford is expected to announce today that the government will close the province for at least a month in response to rising COVID-19 infection rates and hospital stays

This would be the third lock in Windsor-Essex The region was also closed last spring and from mid-December to February16

Sources have confirmed with CTV News Toronto that as of Jan. April will introduce an “emergency brake” that will force the closure of some non-essential services, including personal dining, personal care services and gyms

Essential stores remain open at 50 percent capacity and non-essential retail stores, including shopping malls, can operate at 25 percent capacity

Windsor-Essex County Health Unit Health Officer Dr Wajid Ahmed said Thursday he was not involved in any of the provincial talks on restrictions

“We heard informally from others, not directly from the ministry, that some discussions had taken place,” says Ahmed

Windsor is currently in the red zone, the fourth stage of the COVID-19 response framework, Ontario said a lockdown should improve the situation even further

“If things are going well and people continue to follow these public health measures, we will be in a much better position to get out of lockdown faster than others,” Ahmed said

The percent positivity of COVID-19 tests in Windsor-Essex increased to 36 percent for last week compared to 28 percent in the previous week The case rate decreased to 447/100000 and the Ro (effective) was 09 This week’s statistics have not yet been published

The province confirmed on Thursday 2557 new cases of the novel coronavirus Officials have more than 2 for eight days000 infections registered

The last time the province had a daily fall over the 2nd500 mark was reported on Jan 22, during the height of the second wave, as 2662 infections were reported

Ford is expected to make the announcement at a press conference in Toronto at 1:30 p.m. Thursday, CTVNewsWindsorca will broadcast the press conference live

Provincial Lockdown

World News – CA – Third lockdown expected in Windsor-Essex amid statewide restrictions

Source: https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/third-lockdown-expected-in-windsor-essex-as-part-of-province-wide-restrictions-1.5371161