The Cord restaurant closes for two days, but not because health officials have ordered them to close

A video shows customers singing “Get out” until the health inspectors who visited the restaurant on Saturday leave

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – A Kitsilano restaurant that invites customers to eat indoors despite a ban on indoor dining is closing its doors, but only temporarily

The Corduroy Restaurant defied the latest health ordinance two nights in a row last weekend and was ordered to close on the second Saturday night when it was visited by public health officials and Vancouver police officers

A video surfaced on Facebook about the visit. Customers can gather behind the owner and cheer on the two health officials to “get out” When the couple finally leaves the restaurant, the customers applaud

The Corduroy Restaurant was open for the rest of the night and although it now says it will be closed for Sunday and Monday, the closure is not due to the order of shutdown

A post from the restaurant on Instagram said that it was closed for two days because food ran out and they used the days off to celebrate Easter with the family

“We appreciate the support and understand the game,” says the article “Last year was incredibly difficult for all of us”

On her own Instagram page, owner Rebecca Matthews confirmed the visit from Vancouver Coastal Health and the Vancouver Police Department, but added that the police officers did not enter

“The cops came. Pretty sure because they were called. We had a lot of people calling the restaurants and saying,” We’re going to call the police on you, “she explains

“But they never came in and never asked to speak to me They were only present outside. Some of the patrons who were there went to speak to them and they [the police] said, “Look, we’re only here to keep the peace This is not our problem These are the provincial health officials calling what to do here We”I’m only here to be here’ ”

On Saturday, Matthews announced that NEWS 1130 partitions have been installed between tables and groups are limited to six people

But Public Safety Secretary Mike Farnworth told NEWS 1130 that the restaurant was risking a number of repercussions and listed various agencies with the power to impose fines or otherwise intervene

“This restaurant, like any other restaurant in the province, must follow the instructions of the provincial health officer. It is completely irresponsible not to do this,” he said

“If they invite people to come down, which is the claim I’ve heard, they may face substantial penalties – not just the tickets that can be issued by order of the provincial health officer or the Emergency Program Act – but certainly could they run into problems with licensing alcohol in town and it won’t surprise me if WorkSafe or the police investigate ”

We have sent an email with instructions on how to create a new password. Your existing password has not been changed

You have activated your account Feel free to browse our exclusive competitions, videos, and content

You have activated your account Feel free to browse our exclusive competitions, videos, and content

By checking this box, I agree to Rogers Media’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

We did not recognize this password reset code, please enter your email address to receive a new one

Unfortunately we were unable to verify this email address, enter your email address below and we will send you another email

Cord-Restaurant

World news – CA – Kitsilano-Restaurant defies the closure of the ban on indoor dining – but only temporarily

Source: https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/04/04/covid-defiant-kitsilano-restaurant-temporarily-closing/