UPDATED | Professor Nicola Spurrier, Chief Public Health Officer, made a personal apology tonight to a South Australian man who was falsely accused of violating quarantine while visiting numerous stores while infected with COVID-19

Your apology comes after health officials announced this afternoon that the man was never ordered to be quarantined, despite Spurrier saying yesterday that he “unfortunately … did not quarantine all of the time” after he was identified as a confirmed case contact

SA Health said yesterday that the 30-year-old man quarantined himself after attending the Intensive English Language Institute at Flinders University, but was released on Sunday, Jan. November, after a first negative test assumed

But today, the assistant director of public health, Dr Emily Kirkpatrick, told reporters that the man did not quarantine as commonly reported after being identified as “casual contact” on a confirmed case at the Intensive English Language Institute

“For this particular cluster associated with the school, we did not require them to enter a set quarantine period under the Emergency Management Act as occasional contacts,” she said

“I think that is really important to understand here. This person was not given any specific instruction to conduct the quarantine

“This person was identified as a casual contact and was asked to test and isolate himself. He was never given formal instructions to be quarantined for 14 days. This person was tested on the first day and in isolation until their test result came back and it came back negative

“He left and on the 12th Tested day on the advice of SA Health. He isolated until that result came back and it came back positive ”

“To clarify and review the CDCB (Communicable Disease Control Branch) processes, this person, as an occasional contact from SA Health or SAPOL, was never directed to quarantine and therefore did nothing wrong,” she said

“At the request of the CDCB, he received a communication from the Intensive English Language Institute advising him to get tested and isolated, which he did immediately

“Following this negative test result, there was no further communication from SA Health with this person

“He did not breach the quarantine and has been fully cooperative with our contact tracing efforts aimed at stopping the virus from spreading

“I would like to personally apologize for this miscommunication and thank him for continuing to work with us”

But public health alerts were issued yesterday after it was revealed the man had visited Big W Brickworks in Torrensville (12: 3 p.m. to 50 p.m.), Foodland Norwood (120 to 2 p.m.), and Kmart Kurralta Park (245 to 3 p.m. 10 p.m.) on 22 November while contagious

According to SA Health, people who have visited these high-risk locations at the times indicated must be tested immediately – even if they have no symptoms

The man visited a number of other locations for a shorter period of time. Those who visited the locations at the same time are asked to get tested if they have symptoms:

On the run, Hilton (1217 p.m. – 12 p.m. 3 p.m.), Anaconda, Mile End (12 noon) 55 p.m. – 11712 a.m.), Guzman y Gomez, Glandore (245 p.m. – 250 p.m.) and Glenelg Boost Juice Shop (320 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.)

SA Health has between the 13 and 28 Issued a quarantine alert for Flinders University’s Intensive English Language Institute on November

Everyone who has visited the campus and is in their immediate household must self-quarantine for 14 days. Those who have visited the campus must also be themselves on the first and 12th Have the day of your quarantine tested

The President of the Australian Medical Association, Dr Chris Moy previously told InDaily that he understood the man believed he was doing what he should

“My understanding is that the person did the right thing, was quarantined (as a casual contact with an infected person) and then took a test that came back negative and on the day the lockdown ended That was misunderstood that this meant that it was ok – a negative test and a lockdown passed – he could go out, ”he said

“And the next day he developed symptoms and did the right thing, which was actually quarantine, and later got a test that was positive”

Moy said that meant he would have been contagious the day he went to different stores

“The message reads if you have been asked to quarantine your quarantine for the entire period, regardless of whether you get a negative test in the meantime, as it does not mean that you will not be positive later in your quarantine period can be, “he said

“The other lesson to be learned is that for all of those people who did not wear a mask, if you had worn a mask in this situation, you would have reduced the chances of infection, and therefore we need everyone should start wearing a mask, distance yourself physically, and stick to the program ”

Kirkpatrick said the man “received information via text message” and advised him to get tested and go into isolation

“This person was then given no further advice after receiving his negative test result, and I understand that he then assumed he would be free to move around the community,” she said

When asked if this meant he should have received more information after his first negative test asking him to isolate longer, Kirkpatrick said, “I’m sure we will look at this, in particular after thinking about when we will report and do a full analysis of what happened as part of this Parafield cluster ”

She said SA Health has “expanded the network to include these occasional contacts under our Parafield cluster leadership to ensure that there is no longer a need to differentiate between casual and close contacts”

“Everyone is included under this guide and must be on the 1st and 12th Day to be tested, “she said

Kirkpatrick was asked about the public anger leveled against the man after authorities first felt he had violated quarantine He said, “I think we often go looking for where to blame“

“You can understand why the community may be frustrated or angry with this person,” she said

“But I really want to emphasize here that this person did the right thing on the 1st and 12th Day was tested and was part of an occasional contact group with a lower risk profile

“This is not about blaming individuals, we’re making sure people get tested”

“People need to stop focusing on the person and the guilt and actually focus on what they can do,” he said

“Concerning who is to blame is not going to help us right now. We really need people to focus

“Individuals contributing could mean the difference between a Christmas, which will actually be perfectly normal, and a Christmas when we are curfew””

Changes include increasing the caps for funerals and private functions to 150 people, allowing licensed venues to serve alcohol while standing outdoors, and allowing community sports house gatherings to continue to be limited to 10 people

“At this point we want the 1st December takes the next step before we are back where we want to be in mid-December, “Stevens told ABC Radio this morning

“Hopefully this time we will be at the top because that person came forward and the advice went to the community If people follow this advice, there is a good chance we will stop further spreading when it is out there ”

Stevens told reporters this afternoon that authorities would consider increasing the number of people allowed to gather in people’s homes for Christmas to 50 in time for Christmas

“I think it’s high on the agenda that we increase the number of people who can be home,” said Stevens

In the meantime, Flinders University expects to reopen its Sturt campus on Wednesday after a thorough cleanup

Deputy Vice Chancellor Professor Clare Pollock told ABC Radio that the majority of students have not attended campus as most classes will not be held during exam time

It comes after authorities briefly banned the state for the past fourteen days after a man who tested positive for the virus allegedly failed to reveal his job at the Woodville Pizza Bar’s coronavirus hotspot. p>

The Queensland government will wait another week before deciding to reopen its border with Greater Adelaide “before Christmas” as thousands of visitors from southern states prepare to flock to the Sunshine State

Prime Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk urged people in the SA capital to be patient after a briefing with Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young

She said Young and Queensland Health needed more time to study the coronavirus cluster in Adelaide

“Of course, we aim to ensure that everyone can travel freely before Christmas So I’m asking people to be patient for another week so they can do more detailed analysis on it, “Palaszczuk told reporters

Queensland closed on Jan. November the border with 20 local government areas in the greater Adelaide area after the cluster was created

Young was concerned that large numbers of people in Adelaide were still being asked to self-quarantine and that pop-up test sites were still being set up

“It looks good there now for 33 cases related to that cluster (but) they still have cases and continue to have problem areas,” she said

A donation of any size to InDaily will directly help our journalists uncover the facts South Australia needs more than one voice to move it forward, and we would love your contribution, please click below to donate to InDaily

SA Health, Covid South Australia

World News – AU – Spurrier apologizes to man falsely accused of violating quarantine – InDaily

Source: https://indaily.com.au/news/2020/11/30/sa-health-says-latest-covid-case-did-not-breach-quarantine/