Myanmar has been in turmoil since the army seized power and detained elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi at the beginning of February

A woman was shot and hundreds arrested in Myanmar on Saturday in one of the most extensive crackdowns by the military junta since anti-coup demonstrations began.

Police threw stun grenades, tear gas and used live ammunition, witnesses claimed, as they clashed with crowds in the main city of Yangon.

In the central town of Monwya one woman was reportedly shot, though the circumstances surrounding the incident and her current condition remain unknown. Four people are now known to have died since the coup on February 1.

Myanmar has been roiled by demonstrations since the army ousted Aung San Suu Kyi, accusing her and the party leadership of fraud in November elections. Uncertainty over her whereabouts is growing.

“We’re fighting to end this military bullying which has been going on for generation after generation.”

More than 10 buses were seen entering Insein prison in Yangon, with “about 40 to 50 people in a prison bus”, the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners said.

“We can definitely say hundreds,” the rights group added. “They arrested many people in Monywa too. We are now trying to get the names of the people.”

Myanmar’s UN Ambassador urged the United Nations to use “any means necessary” to prevent the military takeover on Friday, but was fired by military leaders the next day.

“We need further strongest possible action from the international community to immediately end the military coup … and to restore the democracy,” Kyaw Moe Tun said.

The diplomat raised the three-finger salute of pro-democracy protesters before adding “our cause will prevail” in Burmese.

State television, MRTV, said Kyaw Moe Tun had “betrayed the country” and “abused the power and responsibilities of an ambassador”.

UN Special Rapporteur Tom Andrews said he was overwhelmed by the ambassador’s “act of courage”, adding on Twitter “It’s time for the world to answer that courageous call with action”.

Army chief General Min Aung Hlaing gained complete power over Myanmar when he ended the country’s fledging democracy. 

Leader Suu Kyi has not been publicly seen since she was detained. She now faces two charges for having unregistered walkie-talkies in her residence and breaking coronavirus rules.

We urge you to turn off your ad blocker for The Telegraph website so that you can continue to access our quality content in the future.


News – Hundreds arrested and woman reportedly shot as police launch brutal crackdown in Myanmar